Looking for something to cook tonight? Try these delicious chicken tacos – a recipe from Food & Wine magazine! It’s easy, healthy and totally yummy – but one note: a minimum of 6 hours of marinating is required, so prepare ahead of time.
Note: I did these stove top because I don’t have a grill. It was still quite enjoyable.
Save some calories and skip the 55 calories per serving of corn tortillas – serve over a leafy greens to improve the nutrient value of your meal.
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed or chopped leafy greens
- Shredded fat-free Monterey Jack cheese
- jarred salsa verde
- 2 chopped avocados
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 diced tomato for serving
- fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- In a blender, puree the tomatoes with the lime juice, water and salt. Transfer the puree to a large resealable plastic bag and add the chicken thighs. Seal the bag, pressing out the air. Refrigerate the chicken for 6 hours or overnight.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade and pat them dry. Brush with the oil and sprinkle with the paprika and parsley. Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until the chicken is lightly charred and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a work surface and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken thighs into strips and serve with the warmed tortillas, cheese, salsa verde, avocados, onions, tomatoes and cilantro.
One taco, using 1.5 ounces of grilled chicken, 1/8 slice of avocado, 1 tablespoon of shredded non fat shredded mozzarella cheese, a sprinkle of diced tomatoes and cilantro served on one corn tortilla is approximately 183 calories.