I love, love, love Lululemon. I discovered this fashion forward fitness apparel brand two years ago when a client gave me a gift card to their store. That gift card was the catalyst for my now, ever-expanding collection of Speed Shorts, colorful sports bras and whatever other can’t-live-without accessories “Lulu” thinks of next.
But, in all fairness, fitness fashion has certainly evolved. Thank goodness the days are behind us when our only options were spandex, leotards, leg warmers or cut-up jogging pants and an old t-shirt. Today, brands like Nike and Adidas, as well as some up and coming fitness labels are paving the way for workout gear that is meant to get you noticed. See what’s trending this fall in fitness fashion.
- Be bold. Don’t run around in over-sized t-shirts and jogging pants with holes – love your fitness gear and you will love your workouts! Step outside the box – clingy spandex isn’t the only option when you want to rock fabulous fitness apparel. Lululemon has shorts, running skirts, capris and pants to suit all body types or checkout their collection of tanks which range from slim-fitting to adorable and blousy. It you want to spice up your workout gear, try arm-warmers, like Sanya Richards-Ross rocks when she runs, like the fun prints from Moeben. Have some fun and show off your bold style in and out of the gym.
- Shine bright. 2012 is the year of color –bright color. You don’t have to blend in with the drab shades gray and black anymore. From flashy neon sneakers in shades like “volt” by Nike to vivid shorts in the brightest shades of pink, orange and purple from Lululemon – you can stand out like a rock star wherever your workout may take you.
- Sport studio style. Adidas and Nike aren’t designing workout gear for tough and rumble sports only – you can get studio styles from the top names in fitness gear. Years ago, Adidas employed Stella McCartney to redesign their women’s fitness wear and it has become a trademark of fashionable fitness. This year, Stella brought out true studio style with metallic-hooded running jackets and animal print leggings. Nike created a whole new line inspired by the Eastern culture – the Gyakusou collection. Track suits in muted tones of would-be flashy shades and soft fabrics.
- Go crazy. Glitter, stripes, zig-zag, animal print, tie-dye – you name and you can find it. This year several fitness apparel lines have ‘gone crazy’ with wild patterns to pull over your legs before you sweat. Get noticed in fitness leggings from Tees by Tina and Prism Sport.
- Bare your back. Show off sexy shoulders and a toned back in back baring tanks. From t-back tanks to halters – give the world a glimpse of just how hard you have been working. Check out these back baring tanks from Splits 59, Electric Yoga and Lululemon.
- Create your own. On a tight budget? One thing is for sure, fashionable workout gear is rarely cheap, but I bet you have a few old tees in your closet. Grab your old tees and a pair of scissors. Follow these instructions found on Pinterest to create your own back-baring workout tee (I’ve tried it – it’s easy and it works!) Then pair with cute workout capris or wind shorts!
Find stuff you love and feel comfortable in – trust me, it is one more strategy that will get you out there and moving! You might just look forward to your workouts!!!