In more ridiculous lawsuit news, a man in Colorado sues and wins $7 million over a rare condition he calls “popcorn lung.”
Fifty-nine year old Wayne Watson claims he developed serious respiratory disorders due to the inhalation of the diacetyl, the chemical that gives microwave popcorn its buttery flavor and aroma. Watson says he suffered with the classic symptoms of this potentially fatal lung disease, including coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath.
Before you begin to think that the big bad popcorn companies “got what they deserved,” please note that Watson consumed two bags of microwave popcorn every day for ten years.
Socrates once said, “Everything in moderation.” Two bags of popcorn daily counts as excess. If you have that much of almost anything – there is a chance it may cause adverse side effects – even something so good for you, like water.
Earlier this year, a New Zealand woman in her thirties died of hyperkalemia because she drank ten liters of Coke daily. Is Coke to blame for this? Her partner, and the father of her children, certainly believes they are responsible.
Lawsuits like these leave Americans susceptible to laws that infringe on freedom – look at what is happening in NYC with the soda ban. Mayor Bloomberg is assuming that people can’t be responsible for looking after their own health, so he is going to step in and regulate for everyone.
I agree the worldwide food supply is tainted. A lot of things in society are tainted, but it is a choice to read labels and be conscious of what you do to your body. Thanks to the internet, the world is at your fingertips – education, awareness – it is what you do with that information that makes all the difference.
You choose how you want to live.
Tell me what you think. Should companies be held responsible for overconsumption like this?