Cravings can sneak up on you and make even the most stealthy willpower falter. But, if you don’t have super-duper superhuman willpower, don’t worry. These five foods can help you kill a craving and keep your healthy-eating plan right on track.
I’m Craving. . .
. . . something salty:
- Sunflower seeds – Grab 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (shells on) and get a boost of nutrients while you pacify your craving.
- Pistachios – 30 pistachios nuts in the shell will not only slow down your snacking, but you will get disease-fighting antioxidants and meet the need for something salty.
- Mini whole-wheat pretzels – Wanna a little crunch? Enjoy 1/8 cup of mini whole-wheat pretzels and get fiber and crunch with your salty treat.
. . .something sweet:
- Dark chocolate – Dark chocolate comprised of at least 65% real cacao is rich in antioxidants and can also improve your mood. And, of course, please your palate when you want something sweet! Try 1 ounce to satisfy a sweet tooth.
- Plain frozen yogurt with fresh fruit – Skip some of the fat from ice cream and try 1 1/2 cups of frozen yogurt mixed with fresh berries. You will get added protein, vitamins and antioxidants with your sweet treat.
***Keep in mind, portions matter. While these foods can help you manage cravings, overindulgence will wreck your diet too.***